Tuesday, 5 November 2013

Little Gem Lettuce

Little Gem Lettuce - work in progress - watercolour on paper
So here is the lettuce... It's definitely coming along (although it often feels like it isn't) and all those wintry days indoors appear to be paying off. 

Yesterday, I was working on the paler bits at the bottom. I find that the white bits are the hardest to paint because it is tricky to show the highlights when you have hardly any colour on the rest of the bump if you get my drift. Shiny white things are a nightmare. Still, it seems to be going well considering! This is still probably one of the most technically challenging paintings I have done and I am no where near completion. So many greens and whites and yellows and pinks with all the undulations and changing textures. The veins are pretty difficult too - they look translucent and watery on the real lettuce and it's really hard to capture that. Interestingly, I am finding  that I am bringing more of the things that I learnt after painting 2011 Grapes to this particular piece than I am from what I learnt on Sally the Savoy. I think it's because of the translucency of this particular subject, the displaced highlights and all the bumps and shadows. Who would have thought that a lettuce would have more in common with a bunch of grapes than a cabbage? Well there you go... you learn something everyday!



4 comments:

  1. Your lettuce is coming along beautifully. Isn't it amazing that such a seemingly ordinary subject can be so stunning upon examination? The dimensionality of the pale areas is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janene - glad you think it's coming along well. It is indeed extraordinary looking at this humble lettuce closely. Nature is so beautiful in so many ways.

      Delete
  2. Well done Jess - difficult piece and extremely time consuming.
    I also like the way you think it through and 'see' what you want to portray.
    Hard work yet maybe it's somewhat meditational - you could certainly get lost in Cos.
    Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki - yes it is a time consuming one this beast! Getting so lost in the bumps and veins is becoming quite exciting now though. As you say, it is a very meditational and grounding experience examining these leaves so closely. I managed to make myself jump with my own shadow a few days back as I hadn't noticed how dark it had got outside!

      Delete